Wednesday, April 22, 2009

INTRODUCING MAARUF POETS

We are pleased to introduce our poets. They hail from IS 308 in Bed Stuy. Below, I've chosen those that stood out immediately. All typos are intentional to respect free expression and the original energy of their thoughts. Enjoy.


Untitled
Amber Cherry
IS 308 7th Grader

There's no way out
Red & blue what are the colors for.
Loking out my window and their standing there
Looking at each other like way (i think she meant "why") you over here
Fighting each other because one's blood and one's crip
I don't see a reason to fight because of that
But all I know is I don't want to be sitting in front of that gap.



Gang Violence
by Rhonda Grier
IS 308 7th Grader

Gang violence

I see groups
get to gather
and another groups
then they started
to fight

Gang violence

kill, shoting over
Drugs girls friends
Family and it
don't even matter

Gang violence

Grips and Bloods
is that necessary
"no" this is gang
violence that's not
cool

Hurt
by Alize Lewis
IS 308 7th Grader

Hurt
Feelin down pain in my
vains
Sitting here, really don't got nothin to say
I see you hurt so I cry
Hopin I don't kill this man
But I want him to die.
Lookin at his face
and he's happy he's doin it
There's blood on your face so
push him away
See you on the floor,
man dis nigga needs to be out the door


Guns and Weapons and Violence
by Lundon Trotman
IS 308 7th Grader


Why do guns run this world
They shoot each other for diamonds and pearls
For money or turf
Every gun hurts
Pistols, shotguns, AK47's
They kill all children even the ones that's eleven
Guns are terrible
They don't have minds of their own
They take your life even for a phone
Guns don't have a brain
But you do
Guns will kill ya best friend
Then think its cool
But ima end dthis rap with a goodbye
Remember with guns anybody can die